When it comes to setting up your new web site, there are some things you may or may not know, especially when it comes to working with a new web hosting provider. As a result, we often get many questions from visitors to our site who are interested in signing up with web hosting providers such as FatCow, iPage, and GreenGeeks, but they’re unsure about one aspect or another and exactly what’s involved.
As a result, we’ve compiled a list of commonly asked questions concerning what you may not know about setting up a new web site:
1. You need to purchase a name for your site AND some space to put it. This is very similar to registering a company where you both have to name your company and find some office space to sit in. When it comes to setting up a new web site, the first step is to buy a new domain name from a domain name registration company. Once you’ve done that, you then can visit any number of web hosting providers to purchase web space in which to place your site. Some web hosts offer free domain registration with the purchase of new web space, but it is usually better to register your domain separately instead.
2. It can take more than 48 hours for your new web hosting company to setup your site. Always keep this in mind, it is not a process that is immediate. Make sure you plan for enough time in setting up your new web site and don’t wait till the last minute.
3. It can take more up to 48 hours for your new domain name to point to your new web site. This is a direct result of the pure size of the Internet. It just takes time for your new name to make its way into every corner from Japan to Australia to Canada to South Africa. Make sure you plan for this delay and don’t wait until your time is up to start the process.
4. It’s actually pretty easy to move from one web host to another. In one of our other articles (view here) we cover the step by step procedure in moving your site from one web host to another. While it may seem difficult, and your hosting provider may even tell you it’s difficult, this is only to discourage you from going somewhere else (like a car salesman telling you that you’ll never find as good a deal on the used pinto). Don’t fall for their tricks, learn the facts and prepare yourself well in advance for the eventual move.
5. There are hundreds of packages that can help you build a new site in absolutely no time at all. There are so many packages out there for creating new sites, it’s so easy to find one that is perfect for your needs. Here are just a couple ideas WordPress, Drupal, Django, PHP, Moodle, vBulletin, Joomla, b2evolution, Ruby on Rails and many more. If you desire to setup a new site, any of these packages can help you accomplish that goal in no time.